This was originally a post on my Business Heretics website.
There are two ways to succeed:
- things turn out the way we expected; or,
- they don’t, and we learn something from it
There are two ways to fail:
- we don’t learn the lesson from Success #2 above; or
- we quit before we have a chance to fail and achieve Success #2 above
Continuing the Theme of Two, here are two ways for Fail #1:
- we can’t find the lesson to be learned; we looked, honest, and we can’t find it; or
- we think Success #2 is actually failure, so we don’t even look for the lesson
If you’re doing it right, here’s how your business will look, from most frequent to least frequent:
- Success #2: it didn’t turn out, but we learned a lesson
- Success #1: it worked!
- Fail #1a: the lesson is impossible to discern
You’ll note that Fail #1b and Fail #2 aren’t even on the list. Eliminate Fail #2 by quitting after you’ve learned the lesson to be learned.
Eliminate Fail #1b by changing your perception of how the universe functions and realising that life is something you create, not something that happens to you.